While not the quickest mid-week dinner, this recipe is a firm favourite and requires very little babying. It’s fresh, wholesome and a great way to get your family to eat their veggies.
- 14 oz potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 14 oz sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 x 15 oz cans of borlotti beans (drained)
- 1 x 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 sticks of celery (chopped)
- 1 tbsp of cumin seeds
- 1 small bunch of cilantro (chopped)
- 2 fresh chillies (deseeded and chopped)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/2 oz mature cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- Olive oil
Step 1: Over a medium heat bring a pot of water to boil, add the potatoes, a good pinch of salt and cook for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
Step 2: Place a large saucepan on a medium heat add the olive oil, onion, celery, garlic, chillies and cumin seeds, cook for 10 to 15 minutes, till soft, but not browned. When the potatoes are done, drain them and leave to steam dry.
Step 3: Add the beans and tinned tomato to the pan of softened veg, season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 20 minutes then preheat your oven to 350 degree F.
Step 4: Add the sour cream to the drained potatoes and mash them until smooth, roughly chop the cilantro and add to the mash, folding it in.
Step 5: Tip the veggies into a baking dish and spoon over the mashed potatoes, fluff up with a fork and then add the cheddar cheese and smoked paprika and bake for 30 minutes. Plate up and served with a side salad or arugula.