I don't know about you, but I'll take all the help I can get in the organization department. And the refrigerator seemed like the perfect place for an organizational hub – the kitchen is where people tend to congregate, so it's the most logical place to keep lists, cards, etc. Click through to check out my full tutorial.
This organizer combines a chalkboard (a pink one!), a hook for keys and a set of clothespins to clip business cards and invitations – all on a bulletin board covered with fun fabric.
This project is completely customizable; choose any fabric, and any color for your chalkboard. You can even paint the hook and clothespins fun colors if you please. So now, on to the tutorial….
1. Here's what you'll need for the project:
- A bulletin board (mine was 17″x17″)
- White cardboard, i.e. a mailer
- Fabric square, 23″x23″
- Glue gun with extra glue
- Acrylic craft paint
- 1 piece of white chalk
- DecoArt Chalkboard Coating
- Wall hook
- 4 mini clothespins
- A paintbrush, scissors, screwdriver
- 2 3M Command Strips (not pictured)
2. Begin by cutting a piece of white cardboard that is 5″x12.” Paint the front of the cardboard using the acrylic paint color of your choice. Let it dry thoroughly.
3. Next, apply a coat of DecoArt Chalkboard Coating according to the instructions on the bottle. Let it dry, and then apply another coat.
4. In the meantime, place your bulletin board upside down on your fabric and glue the edges down.
5. Next, glue the clothespins to the bottom of the front of the board.
6. Screw the hook to the top left corner of the board.
7. Once the “chalkboard” has dried, prime it with chalk (rub using the side of a piece of chalk and then wipe the surface gently with a dry paper towel).
8. Lastly, adhere one command strip to the top of each side of the board using the glue gun (the strips won't stick to the fabric on their own). Attach the other command strips to those according to the package instructions and adhere the whole board to the refrigerator.
And that's all… your refrigerator organizer is finished!
There are so many ways that you could customize it – different colors, different types of hooks and clips, etc. I just love black and white combined with bright pops of color, so this color scheme was perfect for my kitchen.
It doesn't necessarily have to be attached to the refrigerator, either… it would make a great office organizer as well.
Feel free to post any questions that you may have in the comments section below. Happy crafting everyone!