With the new school year right around the corner, those of you who are heading back to college are probably thinking about how to decorate your dorm room this year. Well, we're here to help! Today we have 75 awesome DIY dorm decor ideas to give your space a unique, custom feel. Click through to check 'em out.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Add some color to your dorm room walls with this cheerful giant paper confetti.
2. Jump on the hand lettering bandwagon with this fun DIY quote art for your wall.
3. Add some functional storage to your wall with these beautiful hanging shelves.
4. Washi tape can look like wallpaper if you use enough of it! Learn more here.
5. Find out how to make your own floral backdrop for your bed using this tutorial.
6. Take string art to a whole new level with this fun block letter quote wall.
7. Update that 1970's macrame look with this boho chic tassel wall hanging.
8. Add some warm light to your dorm room with a set of twinkle lights covered in pretty paper cups.
9. Looking for bold DIY dorm decor? Turn your favorite literary quote into wall art using this simple tutorial.
10. Tape can give your dorm room door a new look too… find out more here.
11. Hexagons never looked so pretty! Get the how-to for this project here.
12. Here's a clever (and cheap!) way to display all of your photos on your wall. Find out more here.
13. Metal grids can come in handy as both a decorative and a functional accent, making them a perfect fit for DIY dorm decor. Read more here.
14. Attach string to your wall in a geometric shape using this fun tutorial.
15. And if you really want to procrastinate on that paper that you have due tomorrow, give this washi tape wall a try.
BEDDING + HEADBOARDS
16. Make a set of these gorgeous patterned throw pillows to dress up that boring dorm bed.
17. Create a stylish headboard using Stikwood… it's adhesive, and so easy to use!
18. This cozy throw blanket is arm-knit…. so no need to buy knitting needles! Get the tutorial here.
19. Jump on the bohemian bandwagon with this boho chic tassel throw pillow.
20. This faux fur blanket has colorful tassels on the corners… get the how-to here.
21. Learn how to make a simple padded fabric headboard using this tutorial.
22. Add some personality to your bed with this fun pretzel throw pillow.
23. Add a pretty canopy to your dorm bed using this surprisingly simple tutorial.
24. If you're a fan of the dreamy watercolor effect, why not give it a try on a throw pillow?
25. This bed pocket caddy would be handy for your phone, TV remote, etc. Get the how-to here.
26. Isn't this twinkle light cloud just the cutest darn thing? We most certainly couldn't leave it off this DIY dorm decor list.
27. Learn how to make this DIY light box sign using this simple tutorial.
28. This pretty Sputnik-style light is actually an IKEA hack! Get the how-to here.
29. Learn how to make this fun initial marquee light here.
30. This glittering light canvas would make a pretty addition to any dorm room.
31. Turn a plain old tin can into a firefly lamp using this easy tutorial.
32. Cover clipboards with pretty paper to organize your paperwork… learn more here.
33. Divide your drawers by covering boxes with pretty paper. Get the how-to here.
34. Take advantage of vertical space with this fun wall organizer.
35. Upcycle an old crate by turning it into this fun storage/seating combo. Learn more here.
36. Have lots of eyewear? Give this simple wall-mounted organizer a try.
37. Keep your scarves organized with this DIY clothespin hanging system.
38. Here again, vertical space comes in handy with this bucket organizer. Learn more here.
39. Turn a cardboard box into a stylish geometric organizer using this tutorial.
40. Here's another handy desk organizer… check out the tutorial here.
41. Keep your necklaces tangle-free with this pretty wall mounted organizer.
42. Recycle some old jars to make this simple desk organizer inspired by an Anthropology piece.
43. Pegboard is another handy material that will help you get organized. Check it out here.
44. Add some fluffy pink fur to your office chair for a playful makeover. Check out the tutorial here.
45. Here's another upholstered bench idea for extra seating in your dorm room.
46. Make a couple of floor pillows using this easy tutorial.
47. Add some faux fur to a stool for a très chic version. Learn more here.
48. Turn a few old plastic crates into seating and storage with this easy tutorial.
49. Learn how to turn a cheap IKEA bench into this comfy upholstered version here.
50. Add some pizzazz to plain old folding chairs with this tutorial.
51. Bean bag chairs are back! Make this fun triangular one using these instructions.
52. A decoupaged chair? Yes please! Learn more here.
53. This square pouf would make great extra seating in your dorm room.
CURTAINS, RUGS, + OTHER TEXTILES
54. Add pom pom trim to existing curtains using this tutorial.
55. Weave your own large rug using this impressive tutorial.
56. Find out how to dye fabric with ice to make your own stylish wall hanging.
57. Hide your hanging clothes with with this fab rope macrame curtain.
58. The college budget is real, and we took that into major consideration when making this DIY dorm decor list! Learn how to make your own curtains using bedsheets – here's the how-to.
59. Turn a bunch of yarn pom poms into a fluffy little accent rug.
60. Here's another awesome rug tutorial to keep your feet nice and cozy.
61. Rope can be a great material for making accent rugs as well. Get the tutorial here.
62. Make this fun gilded monogram for your room using this tutorial.
63. Make a decorative note board out of fabric using these instructions.
64. A key rack is always handy, especially when it involves a chalkboard!
65. Tissue paper tassels are cheap and easy to make… get the how-to here.
66. A floral mousepad would be a pretty addition to any dorm desk.
67. A decorative way to display your travel photos… check out the tutorial here.
68. These colorful flower lights are made out of cupcake wrappers! Find out more here.
69. Keep your schedule organized with a decorative “white” board made out of a picture frame.
70. Add some character to your space with a tissue paper flamingo!
71. Succulents act as bookends here… check out the tutorial here.
72. Corral all of your desk items inside this fun confetti tray.
73. Avoid cup rings with these chic marbled coasters.
74. A yarn wall hanging will add a sophisticated touch to your wall.
75. To round off this DIY dorm decor list, something bright and happy. Hang some plants from your ceiling with these colorful macrame hanging planters.