It’s that time of year when everybody wants to be outside during the day, and then everyone comes running inside in the evening once the mosquitos come out. But it doesn’t have to be like that! Click through to check out 15 clever mosquito control ideas to get rid of those pesky bugs this summer.
What attracts mosquitos?
Simply stated, you! Mosquitos are attracted to heat, carbon dioxide, body odor and lactic acid so make sure you’re squeaky clean before you go out in the backyard. They are also more prevalent in wet areas, so try to eliminate any standing water in your yard. But there are lots of other ways to discourage mosquitos as well… here goes!
Natural mosquito repellent
1. This citronella floating candle will deter mosquitos, and it looks pretty too! Check out the easy tutorial over at The Kitchn.
2. Moisturize and deter with this easy homemade Bug Away Butter. Head over to Soap Deli News to see the recipe.
3. Add herbs to your fire pit or campfire for mosquito control… learn more over at Garden Therapy.
4. These lotion bars make mosquito repellent look quite luxurious! Find out how to make them here.
5. Head over to Design Fixation to find out how to turn paint cans into colorful DIY mosquito repellent citronella luminaries using essential oils.
6. I love the smell of cloves… but apparently bugs hate it. Learn more about repelling mosquitos with citrus and cloves here.
Mosquito repelling bracelets?
7. Did you know that you can make bracelets that get rid of mosquitos? Head over here to find out how to do it.
8. Here’s another DIY bracelet that will repel mosquitos… check out the tutorial here.
9. Sometimes the simplest solution is the most effective… keep the bugs at bay by blowing them away! Read more here.
10. Mosquitos hate the smell of coffee grounds (I’m not sure how that’s possible, I think it’s the best smell in the world!) so if you burn the grounds, it will deter the bugs. Check out the instructions here.
Do citronella candles work?
11. The answer is yes! Mosquitos hate the smell of citronella, so it’s one of the best essential oils to use to discourage them. Head over to Don’t Waste The Crumbs to find out how to make your own citronella candles.
Here are some plants that repel mosquitoes:
12. Lemon balm is a great mosquito deterrent… we have a ton of it in our garden, and not very many mosquitos. And I don’t think it’s a coincidence! It spreads quickly, so be sure to plant it in a confined area in the garden, and trim it down regularly.
13. Lavender is another plant that can help with mosquito yard control, so plant it liberally in your garden.
14. Rosemary is a wonderful herb to plant to repel mosquitos… and it’s delicious on roasted red potatoes!
15. And if you’d like to make a pretty planter filled with a variety of mosquito repelling plants, check out these instructions.