Our little boy was born two weeks before we moved into the Curbly House, and for the last two years – with the exception of a few pictures on the wall, his bedroom has remained untouched. For the most part, this has been intentional, because we wanted to hold off creating a space for him until we knew more about him. And, frankly, we be tired, and adding another room to our makeover list was just not in our cards… until now. Continue Reading
The Bleach Guy, Phelyx, has offered up a tutorial over on Stencil Revolution that’ll blow your socks off. He uses stencils and bleach to achieve a tattooed effect on fabric. Warning: It’s a project not for the faint of heart! What he uses to do it:
- 50/50 cotton and polyester tee, or other garment (how cool would this technique look on jeans?!)
- cheap, grocery-store-bought bleach
- a respirator or a well-vented area or both
- a plastic spray bottle
- Dura-Lar (.005
No, it’s not tie-dye. Nor is it a washing day mishap. It’s actually an experiment that turns printed fabric into a muted version of its former self. What Elizabeth did was mix 2 quarts of water with 2 cups of bleach. She then added pieces of fabric and let them soak for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. What’s very cool about the outcome is that the ‘befores’ coordinate with the ‘afters’ perfectly. To see more pictures of her experiment and its outcome, visit Oh, Fransson! Continue Reading
Nicole tried her hand at using bleach to stamp paper and the result was lovely! To try it for yourself, you’ll need the following:
- A rubber stamp,
- a paper plate that’s impervious to leaks,
- and a paper towel.
Check out the entire tutorial over on Paper Creations. (Although Nicole bleached cardstock, I’m wondering if the same technique could be used for fabric.)
Traditional methods of removing mold in your home calls for spraying the affected area with water mixed with harsh chemicals, such as ammonia or chlorine bleach. Unfortunately, chlorine bleach contains sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl), which, when mixed with water forms hypochlorous acid (HOCl).
Hypochlorous acid is a terrible irritant to human skin and tissues, and its fumes are harmful to eyes and lungs. Worse, when mixed with cleansers with ammonia (by would-be home cleansing chemists seeking double cleaning power), it can form chloramine gas, which can be deadly. Continue Reading