Nothing says “Happy New Year” like cleaning and organizing your home. Every new year, I think of one particular Chinese tradition that requires each family to thoroughly clean their home in an effort to sweep out the bad and make room for the good fortune that every new year promises. This year the Chinese new year doesn’t begin until January 23rd, so we have a little time to get our ducks in a row. We’ve assembled a top ten round-up of organization projects that will inspire you to tidy-up and bring some order to every nook and cranny of your home. Continue Reading
Scandinavian-inspired design got some major love from Curbly this year. From creative DIY stool ideas to rustic-modern coat stands, we Oo’d and Ah’d over this distinct aesthetic. Here are our favorite uniquely Scandinavian DIY projects from 2011 (in no particular order, because they’re all pretty fabulous)!
10. We love this simple DIY photo display idea–it’s rustic and modern all at once! See how to make it here.
9. Consider sprucing up old baskets or thrift store finds with this paint dipping technique. Continue Reading
We get really, really excited about DIY lighting projects here at Curbly, so narrowing down our HUGE collection of awesome ideas to ten was a tough task. In the end, we chose our favorite high-impact, low-cost projects. Here they are in order of most difficult to easiest (they’re all pretty easy, though)! Enjoy!
10. With some basic welding skills, this minimalist-style swing arm lamp could be yours! See how here.
9. This mod chandelier takes a little bit of patience but will set you back less than $10–totally worth getting all those little sticks positioned just-so. Continue Reading
Starbursts and typography. Two words that were oh-so-hot for artwork in 2011. Another two words that came to mind rounding up our hands-down-favorite art/wall projects were ‘unusual uses.’ From cupcake liners to shoe polish, the materials used by these creative individuals was nothing less than inspirational. And did we mention that the resulting artwork was outstanding as well?
In this recap of 2011 makeovers, we turn our attention to furniture. From dumpster finds to brand new furniture to vintage pieces, nothing was safe from a makeover. All inspire gasps and even one controversy! So read on and hold on to your hats.
First up is Theresa’s upholstery class project, which went from mauve to marvelous.
Ashley rescued this granny rocker from a dumpster.
After giving it the old once over, this granny is rockin’. Continue Reading
As another year comes to a close, we’d like to take the opportunity to look back at all the marvelous makeovers we’ve seen here on Curbly in 2011. In this roundup of the best of the best, we’re concentrating on bedrooms and offices. The criteria for landing on this esteemed list is simple: the rooms had to make us do a double take. Sometimes that meant studying the before to make sure it was the same room as pictured in the after. Continue Reading
From low-budget, quick-fixes to full blown renovations, we’re counting down our top ten bathroom makeovers of 2011. Check out our picks below and let us know which memorable makeover is your favorite!
10. A little bit of paint, new hardware, and a framed mirror will have your bathroom looking like new by the end of a weekend. See more here.
9. This rundown bath got an inexpensive makeover with some paint and a new faucet! Continue Reading
It’s Top Ten time, people! We’re celebrating a year of inspiring makeovers and DIY ingenuity with a look back at some of the biggest and best kitchen updates of 2011. From minor to major, we’ve selected the ten most impressive kitchen transformations of this past year. Enjoy!
10. This kitchen started pretty much as a blank slate, but with a lot of work (and a whole lot of paint) it became a portrait of the homeowner’s personality! Continue Reading